With the Brexit transition coming to an end on January 1 many small businesses have had to quickly adapt to new rules and red tape.
To help businesses provide training to staff to cope with the new customs, rules of origin and VAT regulations when trading with the European Union, the UK Government has created a support fund to give assistance.
The SME Brexit Support Fund, announced last week, means small and medium businesses (SMEs) can get up to £2,000 to help with training and professional advice in dealing with the new rules.
Here, Andrew Diver, Head of Taxation at Beatons Group, explains how the grant scheme will work.
What you can use the grants for?
This new government grant is specifically there for companies to adjust to the changes since Brexit and to help staff get their head around the new regulations.
The grants can be used for training on:
- How to complete customs declarations
- How to manage customs processes and use customs software and systems
- Specific import and export related aspects including VAT, excise and rules of origin.
- It can be used to help you get professional advice so your business can meet its customs, excise, import VAT or safety and security declaration requirements.
Who will be able to apply?
To receive the grant, there are certain criteria a business must fit.
To get the grant a company must:
- Be established in the UK
- Have been established in the UK for at least 12 months before submitting the application, or currently hold Authorised Economic Operator status
- Not have previously failed to meet its tax or customs obligations
- Have no more than 500 employees
- Have no more than £100 million turnover
- Import or export goods between Great Britain and the EU, or moves goods between Great Britain and Northern Ireland
To receive the grant, a business must also either complete (or intend to complete) import or export declarations internally for its own goods or use someone else to complete import or export declarations but need additional capability internally to effectively import or export.
How to apply for the grant
The fund will be administered by PriceWaterhouse Coopers through the existing Customs Grant Scheme and will open for applications next month.
You can find out more about the scheme and apply for a grant by visiting www.gov.uk/guidance/grants-to-help-small-and-medium-sized-businesses-new-to-importing-or-exporting
If you have any questions regarding the new VAT rules and how they might impact your business, please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org
It is possible you may be able to obtain the above grant funding for the advice we provide.